When I share with someone that I work in the beauty and skincare field, women will often tell me "I wish I had started younger." It's no secret that prevention is key in so many aspects of life, skincare being no exception.
I'm here to bring you 5 things that you should start doing today that your older self will thank you for later in life. These tips aren't anything ground breaking or new but I hope they serve as a reminder that prevention is key when it comes to aging. If you take good care of your skin it will be reflected later on in life.
1. Wear SPF daily. This one might seem like a no brainer to some of you but it's amazing how many people my age I find still don't wear it on a regular basis. Time and time again I hear more mature women telling me stories about how they baked in the sun with baby oil instead of using any sunscreen and they wish they had known how much damage it would cause later in life. Not only is the sun one of the largest contributers to aging your skin but HELLO! SKIN CANCER! Let's make sure we all make it so see ourselves wrinkle. Whether it's in your foundation or a separate step don't skip the SPF ever (even in the middle of winter).
2. Establish a skincare routine. This one is another vital aspect to aging gracefully. If you haven't established a skincare rountine yet it's time to do so. This doesn't mean you have to have 20 steps day and night, but you need to make sure you are at least covering the basics. When we properly cleanse, tone and moisturize our skin, we maintain the health of the acid barrier of our skin. So why is this important? When the acid barrier of our skin is healthy, it can protect us from all sorts of environmental factors and impurities that we encounter on a daily basis. The skin does so much for our bodies and if we take good care of it, it will keep us protected and help us age slower.
3. Learn about your skin. Whether this means going to see an esthetician or visiting your dermatologist, make sure you take the steps to learn about what is actually happening specifically on your face! We are all unique and even if you think you know what's going on with your face, you might be completely off. With the guidance of a professional you can make sure you are using the correct kinds of products.
4. Drink more water. This one might seem like a no brainer too but most of us have dehydrated skin which can contribute to the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It's pretty rare that when I check someone's face for dehydration they aren't even slightly dehydrated. Our skin is the largest organ of our body and also the last to get water so it's important to make sure that we drink enough of it. If you are really active or under a lot of stress, it's crucial to drink even more!
5. Use an eye cream. The skin under our eyes is thin and fragile and completely different than the rest of our faces. This is why it's vital to use a separate product on it that is also approved for the eye area. The eyes are also one of the first places you will notice fine lines and wrinkles, so starting early with an eye cream can help keep that area looking young and fresh, longer.
If you are already doing some or even all of these things, keep it up! You're on the right track to aging gracefully. If not, pick a few and start adding them all in slowly.
Have a beautiful day,